Monday, September 19, 2005

100 things about me

Something tells me I may come to regret this post...

Why 100? Why not 1 or 8 or even 10000?
And why should any of you care to know it?
And why am I narcissistic enough to post it?
Questions, questions, so many questions and very few answers...
Well, after the questions about me that have their answers in the F.A.Q., after GG's tag, here you have a few lot more answers.

To those of you who really want to know more about me and read the usual "100 things" click here.

1. I was born in Portugal.
2. The year of birth was 1973.
3. Was raised as a city boy AND a country boy, most of the family lives up north and I used to spend a lot of time there when I was a kid.
4. I’m a straight guy.
5. I am married (we tied the knot in 2001 but we’ve been together since 1995).
6. I like living here in Portugal.
7. I’ve lived for several months in Scotland (Aberdeen to be precise, lots of good memories, made some good friends there).
8. I love traveling (not the ‘organized tour’ kind though, I like to ‘feel’ the places, talk to the people, look for the places off the beaten track).
9. I always want to know how things work.
10. I can't resist a good puzzle.
11. I started speaking English when I was 6. In school I learned English and German (by now most of it is forgotten by lack of use). I also know a bit of Spanish, French and Italian.
12. To get the money for traveling I work in a chemistry lab (don’t think this is the way to get rich…).
13. Don’t dream of getting rich.
14. At least don’t think I do, I really never remember my dreams (there are maybe two or three nightmares that I recall during my whole life, no dreams).
15. I can sleep almost everywhere, regardless of noise or other nuisances. Just like an angel (I like saying the angel bit cuz always brings out a few sneers from those who know me).
16. I’ve done some voluntary work in a ‘food bank’ and may do it again if I ever get the time.
17. Have done some firefighting during Summers before I got a ‘real job’ (most firefighters here are volunteers).
18. I’ve worked with children from slum areas too.
19. Some people say I curse a lot, some never heard me curse.
20. Used to teach in college but got fed up with it (private university in Portugal, means rich kids who didn’t get the grades to be admitted in public ones: rich assholes with no will to learn – not for me).
21. I got my education in a public university (bet you had already figured this out).
22. Love college life though (ok,ok, mostly the extracurricular activities…).
23. Love cooking too (one of my most popular hobbies, always lots of volunteer ‘guinea pigs’ to test my new recipes among friends).
24. Hate cleaning, ironing or any other house chores (though I do the laundry… rats!).
25. I absolutely NEED books, I’m always reading something.
26. At a certain time I was one of the owners of a bar (we went broke and it wasn’t my fault).
27. Still can mix a lot of cocktails (not everything was lost!).
28. I like drinking. Life is too short to drink bad wine or bad booze though (I can hold my liquor, in spite of having been wasted a number of times in my life).
29. In college I was one of the founders of a society that still today promotes concerts, exhibitions and other cultural activities as well as huge parties (cuz you can’t always be dead serious).
30. Whenever a major mischief happened in college someone in our group would be to blame, but nobody would know who (and we weren’t just students…).
31. I’m a strong minded person (ok, ok, sometimes I’m pigheaded).
32. I treasure my friends (and there is a lot of them, real friends I can rely on).
33. My friends sometimes influence me (ok, ok, I finally confessed).
34. I’m not superstitious (but I like teasing people who are, heck I like teasing people period!!! Hehehehe).
35. I believe in God but not in any church (churches are made by men, some men are good some are not).
36. I believe in scientific proof and knowledge.
37. I like history but never remember dates.
38. I’m terrible with people’s names also (not to mention b-days…).
39. I don’t have children (that I know of, that is).
40. I love vegetarian meals but I am still at the top of the food chain and I love meat also.
41. I can’t stand stupid people.
42. Can’t stand liars either.
43. I don’t like waiting but I know how to be patient.
44. I love taking pictures.
45. Like drawing too, used to draw a lot when I was a kid.
46. I love music and have a very eclectic selection of it.
47. Can’t play anything worth listening sad to say.
48. I love gadgets (I’m a guy, it’s only natural).
49. I don’t usually watch TV although we have cable (Good Half likes to watch the news).
50. I get my news from the internet.
51. No favorite color.
52. No favorite movie.
53. No favorite book.
54. Favorite music: Stairway to Heaven.
55. Favorite painters: Dali, Giger.
56. Hooked on Sci-Fi (and a Star Wars fan if you really want to know).
57. Hooked on comics.
58. I like math also (Geek Alarm!!!!).
59. Yes, goes without saying but still: I can think.
60. Slight addiction on crosswords.
61. Just recovered from an “addiction” on Canasta (terrible game, just terrible, worst than Poker I’d say).
62. I don’t gamble (the poker games are just among friends, now and then).
63. No way to hide computers are another one of my hobbies.
64. As are ham radios (don’t ask for my call sign, that would be the same as posting my full name and address).
65. Currently I snowboard and rollerblade.
66. And shoot some pool whenever I can.
67. In the past I’ve done several sports (gymnastics, swimming, rugby, scuba, sky diving,…).
68. I also like target practicing with almost everything (slingshot, bow, crossbow, rifle, handguns, you name it…).
69. Those who know me think I’m like a little kid always fooling around.
70. Good Half and I buy a lot of toys (kids toys! not that kind of toy you pervs…).
71. Those who don’t know me sometimes think I am the kind of guy who’s always serious (duh!).
72. My office is always in an organized chaos, but I can locate the stuff I want to.
73. Hate paperwork and red-tape.
74. Must keep a cell phone near me 24/7 when not on holiday, that is why I prefer to be out of reach when on vacation.
75. Can walk for hours, sometimes even in the city, without any destination.
76. Animals usually love me.
77. Same with kids (too innocent to know better!).
78. Adults usually don’t (too blunt, not enough diplomacy, rumor has it…).
79. Afraid of hand-gliding (never tried it, probably never will).
80. Used to ride a motorbike but I’ve quit (too many friends having terrible accidents).
81. Crazy for speed. Yet, whenever I have someone with me inside a vehicle I drive slower (a lot slower, really).
82. Like flying in helis and small planes but find commercial flights terrible (yup, I’ve flown 1st class a number of times, still tedious, nowadays I always fly ‘cattle class’).
83. Always liked traveling by train (walking around the train, meeting people…).
84. Have never been to a sea cruise (it’s in our plans).
85. Already planted trees.
86. Wrote a book too (not published, probably never will be, not really in my plans).
87. I usually trust my instincts. Whenever I don’t things go wrong.
88. I’m usually very polite but I know when to stop being so.
89. Due to a strict traditional education chivalry is imbued somewhere inside me, thus forcing me to hold doors and do all that stuff to ladies (luckily ladies are scarce these days…).
90. Other things I may have done to ladies are not subject to public revelation.
91. Might just as well say it: I am competitive. I like playing to win. I can take defeat but I’m the kind of guy that always keeps scores.
92. I’m not a sore loser, but if my heart really is into something I’ll do my best not to loose again.
93. I can say words like:”I don’t know”, “I was wrong”, “I am sorry”.
94. I can also say:”told you so!” (and I DO SAY it)
95. Can laugh at myself.
96. Can have long silent talks with a few people (this is weird but it does happen).
97. Can forgive but hardly forget.
98. Always try to check the worst case scenario in every situation, to get to know how bad things can get, people who don’t know how my mind works say I’m a pessimist.
99. I’m an optimist, no matter how bad things look I always go ahead.
100. Most people think my life is an open book and make big mistakes over that (to a point it is, they just can’t read the language).
101. Going senile, I keep forgetting stuff!

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh yeeeey! everyone is getting a little bit personal... Love it!!!
i'm going to print it and use as reading material for the 2hours commute ;) thanks!

i already see we have 15 in common!

19/9/05 18:39  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Stairway to heaven! You like Stairway to heaven! Brilliant, moving, wonderful song.

Today I was doing 'character sketches' of bloggers in my head. Including you :-)

And there you go and post this! ESP, huh?

Some of you here, I figured right, some you surprised me with, and some made me think, aha, a bit of info. falling into place.

I got the sense of humour right!

19/9/05 21:42  
Blogger DCveR said...

tacit: I guess that means I can make fun of you cuz you're older than me. :P
Although I don't really understand that 'least' thing.

ale: Two hour commute? Gosh, You'd better take your Financial Times as well, this is not enough reading material.

GG: Jimmy Page at his best! Hehehehe
But now YOU got ME curious, what were the surprises? And what got you thinking? How do you say it, faas, right?

19/9/05 22:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why 100 and not 1000? It's hard enough coming up with 100, thankyouverymuch! And I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that posting 100 things about yourself is narcissistic.

Good list by the way - well rounded.

20/9/05 01:13  
Blogger Unknown said...

thats a great list actually- very Dcver-- well -of course

i want to know more about your volunteer experience, was it in Portugal? how did you get into it?

51- makes me sad ! no favorite color!!!? whatsup with that :)

43- so great
35- i've ALWAYS said that
29- very cool
19- EXACTLY like me

very curious what you do in that lab... i imagine a lab building on top of a hill, where you need to be buzzed in at the gate and than proceed on a long drive to the building.

20/9/05 02:28  
Blogger Mike said...

I always keep score when I read these things. Never has it been this close:

51 similarities
50 differences

Now I'll let you guess what they were ;)

20/9/05 04:07  
Blogger DCveR said...

lisa:hehehe take your time

loxy fady: It didn't seem that hard coming up with 100, but thanks.

ale: Yes, all of it in Portugal. Easier to get time to do stuff here than to take a couple of months to go somewhere else. And as it happens help is needed here, so it really doesn't make much sense going abroad while there is work to be done here.
Can't you guess how it started? Regarding work all I will say is that I work in a pretty normal building in Lisbon.

viking: 1 and 2 are the same, 3 different, 4 same, 5 through 7 different, and I guess I'll skip the rest... ;)

orange: It's not like I mind people asking me stuff though, I just stop answering at the point I do not know the answer.

20/9/05 08:41  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

nice list, DCveR. i have the traveling bug, too. and who can think about distance when there's so much to see when you're out on a walk, exploring?

sad that there are so few 'ladies' and 'gentlemen' out there, though.

20/9/05 09:29  
Blogger Unknown said...

no i meant - why did you choose to work with children specifically and not say--- saving the whales, environmental stuff- or sick people-- there are lots of areas to choose from-

20/9/05 16:01  
Blogger DCveR said...

cadiz: Sometimes I even enjoy talking to 'the locals' more than the actual sights and attractions.

ale: Boy Scouts. Most of it comes from there.

20/9/05 16:15  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

What got me thinking? I'm always trying to figure out people, reading between the lines and so on. I'm a 'pretend psychoanalyst.'

Actually, when I think of it, basically I had only one surprise...that you believe in God.

For some reason, I did the lazy thing and thought, 'oh, science...he doesn't believe in God.'

I should know better than that.

20/9/05 19:06  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG: I believe in 'something' that set the 'rules' to the universe. Not someone who acts on the lifes of each individual being, thus I don't really give God much thought. I don't even agree with the usual God concept. But you'd be surprised with the number of scientists who believe in something 'bigger'. If you have the chance to see the movie "What a bleep do we know" I think you would enjoy it and it would give some clues to what I mean, although I don't quite agree with everything in the movie.

20/9/05 19:17  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

You forgot:

1. I have a kind heart
2. I had a great uncle who played the most beautiful music.
3. I have a good wit, and make other bloggers LOL with my comments.
4. I am a pacifist and believe in world peace.
5. I speak English like a native.
6. I am a loyal friend who always seems willing to help my friends out.


DC, I know at least these things about you! (You spring chicken!)

22/9/05 07:16  
Blogger DCveR said...

kris: You are making sound too nice. Thank you.

22/9/05 08:43  
Blogger DCveR said...

Most of my drawings are small rough sketches, most of them drawn with a pen in the first handy piece of paper. I usually loose them, give them or simply throw them in the garbage after some time. I have already posted one such sketch, here. Sometimes I draw a person, a car, a landscape, a scene. These are just things I do on the spur of the moment, no big deal. I have made a few bigger carbon drawings that ended up framed at friends’ places. There are also a few folders that are either at my parents place or “up in the mountain”.

22/9/05 17:20  
Blogger Glitzy said...

Nice to learn some more about you! :)

27/9/05 17:21  
Blogger DCveR said...

glitzy: Not sure if this post was such a good idea. A co-worker already spotted me due to it.

27/9/05 23:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter