Wednesday, September 14, 2005

As weird as it gets

On one of the comments on my post Superstition, vesparosso mentioned ESP.
Well, don’t ask me if there is ESP, telekinesis, telepathy or any such thing.
I really don’t know.
What I know is that there are a few things science can not explain.
Some of those things have happened to me, as far as it goes it is neither ear say nor hollow belief.
I don’t ask any of you to believe these things happened either.

It is up to you, you can even skip the rest of this post or click here to read more.


I have a friend, let us call her M, who thinks like me in everything but one little issue: she thinks most of ‘the herd’ is good and I think ‘the herd’ is bad. Things started to get a bit complicated between us when she started poking her elbow in my ribs before I even said what I was going to, this happened a lot, no big deal. Happens to a lot of people that know each other well, one can predict what the other is going to tell. Then, one day, we were having a math exam, different buildings, different streets, same test, and same time. We almost got into trouble: same order of resolution, same mistakes, same typos, same corrections, only difference was the ID. We were in high school, back then there was neither internet nor cell phones, nothing of the kind was used. Now at this point things got really weird between us. Then came the history exam, we had two possible dates to pick, we chose the second one. There came the chance to go on a sea cruise for free and she wanted to go, but there was only one day before the first history test date and the second date was in the middle of the cruise. Missing the test would mean flunk the year. I convinced her we both would take the test: each of us would study half the theory, each of us would explain his half to the other the morning before the test. We both asked the professor to take the test in different rooms, because we had 'studied together' and we didn’t want her to think we had been cheating. We both got 18,6 out of 20.
She now lives in London, happily married to a very nice guy. Good Half loves them too and they love Good Half. We don’t see each others very much, we make a phone call on birthdays, Christmas and other from special occasions whenever we feel the urge to do it. When we do feel the urge to call one another something is wrong, last time I called her she had just arrived in Portugal because her grandma had passed away.

This urge I mentioned is the same thing that happens with D., who calls me whenever there is something wrong with me. We even work in the same place although sometimes we go for weeks without seeing one another. Something goes wrong and one of my phones is ringing with her trying to help. Once this happened when she was flying back to Portugal from her honeymoon. Her husband complained later she got frantic to get to a phone as soon as their plane landed. Yes, things were wrong with me.

There are also the silent talks. There is one person who I sometimes can ‘talk’ with, we just look into each other’s eyes and we can ask questions and give answers… the weird bit is that sometimes people around realize something is going on, specially our friends.

With Good Half there are a few things also. Well not just a few, but I really don’t want to get into much detail there. One thing I can tell though: in ten years never have I won her a coin toss or any luck related thing. Not once. Not even when the odds are clearly favoring me. If there is chance involved she wins.

SO… These things go on unexplained.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there! thanks for the shoutout...i'll have to tell you some of my stories some day. haven't seen you for a while in my neck of the woods. i miss your comments! :)

14/9/05 22:58  
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

I totally believe in these kinds of connections. One night when my daughter, who was 3 at the time was sleeping with me, I woke up from a dream where I had been eating cookies. I thought to myself, how weird to dream about eating cookies. Suddenly, Grace giggled in her sleep and murmured "mmm..cookies." It totally freaked me out.

15/9/05 00:02  
Blogger Unknown said...

telekinesis, and telepathy TOTALY work. it happens to me ALL the time!!! i hardly EVER call my mom from work, and EVERY time i do i get a busy signal... because SHE IS CALLING ME! i have a ton more of examples.

15/9/05 02:28  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

ESP runs deep in my family. I think it does exist.

I think there's another dimension to life that science cannot touch, see, explain.

15/9/05 03:21  
Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, it's strange... I don't believe in most hocus-pocus (gods, superstitions, souls, Einstein...) but I've had some strange run-ins with ESP. Most of the time though, you might be able to say it's just allowing yourself to become more aware... like the time I found my hat--

I'd been missing the hat for months, and one day I sat down and meditated, imagined the house, walked through it in my mind, and came to a small space between the wall and the radiator... Sure enough, I went to that spot and there it was. But maybe I just had that knowledge stored somewhere deep in my brain already.

Then there are stranger things... like the time I met my good half in a dream, three years before we ever met in real life. Yeah, I definitely think we are connected.

15/9/05 07:14  
Blogger DCveR said...

vesparosso: Hasn't your tracking been spotting me? :P I've been there, although I haven't done many comments lately. Sorry... I'll try and change that.

bunny jo: I have had similar situations with Good Half. Weird to say the least.

ale: "I was just about to call you", yup, this sentence does ring a bell, although I usually use it when I was supposed to call someone and that person calls me first. But I know you mean another thing... :)

GG: I wouldn't go as far as to say that. In fact I hate saying anything without proof. But I really have to accept some things go beyond our compreension. How does it work in your family?

viking: I am as skeptical as they come. However sometimes there really is no explanation possible.

15/9/05 09:12  
Blogger Unknown said...

hehehee :) i know its so tempting to use that line... especially on boyfriens-- "you wont believe this but i JUST took my phone out to dile you!!!" heeeeheh

15/9/05 17:10  
Blogger DCveR said...

ale: That is something all you women do too, nothing you could have said would have changed my mind. But still it was nice of you to confess. ;)

15/9/05 19:44  
Blogger DCveR said...

tall glass: I would say coincidence. But I even have trouble believing stuff that happens to me.

16/9/05 00:11  
Blogger DCveR said...

christine: I still wonder even after freaky stuff happened to me. ;)

16/9/05 09:07  
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

The question is, DCvR, do you believe that there are things in the world that science can't explain? That the complexities of the human soul (mind, will and emotions) go beyond what science can either explain or comprehend? Hmmmm....?

16/9/05 18:22  
Blogger DCveR said...

bunny jo: There are things science can not explain yet. For example I have witnessed two "miracles" that happened to close relatives of mine. In both cases all doctors involved say they had never seen such. But the fact that science can't explain something doesn't make me accept any other explanation on a "faith" basis, to me it remains unexplained.

16/9/05 19:37  
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Fair enough. And who knows, you may actually one day have scientific proof for supernatural realities, making the supernatural actually quite natural!

16/9/05 22:48  
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

16/9/05 22:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter