Monday, September 26, 2005

Perfectionism

Some people say I am a perfectionist, a completely false accusation in fact.
Then, when I do something 'over my knee' as we say in this country, meaning without any care or planning, they find it strange. It's just 'not me'.
I am just lazy, as simple as that. If I don't like doing something I will not want to be doing it again and again.
If searching for an error after something is done is as tiresome and troublesome as doing it again from scratch it is much better to do it right in the first place.
If I can think of a better way to do it I'll think first and act upon what I come up with.
Ingenuity, at least in my case, is the fruit of laziness. Why doing it that way if there is a faster/easier/'less expensive'/'less tiresome'/smarter way (scratch off whatever doesn't apply).
It is all basic economics truly. Cost benefice ratios.
Is it worth taking the time to make it perfect? How often will it be used? How important is it really? Is someone's life going to be hanging from the fact it is error free?

So if all that is needed is a piece of paper with the words "out of order" on it, if I have the paper, wide tipped color markers, two hands and a brain, where is it written I had to use a damned computer to print a nicely formatted sign?
And why the hell doesn't the creature who complained about the aesthetics of my sign learn some Portuguese instead, after all her reports have a kindergarten-level language!

What else?! It's Monday!!! No wonder!!!
And the week is but beginning...

14 Comments:

Blogger Bent Fabric said...

You say perfectionism like it's a bad thing. ;)

I'm a lazy ass, but I believe in doing things right the first time to avoid redundancy, especially on tedious tasks. Ya know?!

26/9/05 15:53  
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

I take GREAT pride in being a reformed perfectionist! My life had become a prison where everything from how I put my spoons away to how I balanced my checkbook had become heavy burdensome chores encumbered by intricate do's and do not's. One day at work when I was talking about how important it was to be perfect, my coworker exclaimed, "God help me, I'm not perfect and never want to be!" I remember it was like a mental revolution! I looked at her like she had just sprouted another head. I spent the next several days really considering life without perfectionism. Didn't take me long to figure out it is a malignant form of self-torture. I now look at my messy spoon tray and announce with pride that it is progress!

26/9/05 16:21  
Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

They say that the definition of insanity os doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

26/9/05 17:50  
Blogger Unknown said...

my lazyness is even more developed... i do things "over the knee" and hope they fly--

ps: yes- arn't coworkers just JOY!

26/9/05 17:50  
Blogger Glitzy said...

Your coworker sounds just lovely *heavy sarcasm*

I guess I'm a random perfectionist. I'm not a 'neatnik' (messy, messy me) but when I'm creating something it has to be perfect

26/9/05 23:48  
Blogger Mike said...

I am quite a perfectionist. It's a blessing and a curse. Mostly a curse.

But it's just an out of order sign! Even I wouldn't worry about that!

But I would spend an hour and a half getting it perfectly level in the perfect center of the door :)

27/9/05 02:52  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

absolutely a curse. when you don't think you should do something if you can't do it right, you find yourself not doing a lot of stuff, and obsessing so much with the stuff you in fact get around to doing.

ah, but when something looks pretty damn near perfect, that's when you know it was worth it.

yeah, there should be a twelve-step program for people like us.

27/9/05 08:06  
Blogger DCveR said...

bent: My point exactly. The worst and more tedious something is the less times I want to do it.

bunny jo: Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes it isn't. That is what you should know.

phoenix: I fully agree. Unless you're talking Microsoft...

ale: Isn't that a bit too much.

glitzy: Just lovely. Want her? I would gladly post her to you...

tacit: Could be, could be.

viking: People CAN read it even if it is slightly off center! Sorry to break this to you like this. ;)

isis: Well, if somebody's life or health is dependent on something that is a whole different story.

cadiz: Obsessing over petty stuff is horrible. People should relax and save their strength for stuff that really matters.

27/9/05 08:36  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I don't know what I am.

I want some things done perfect. My embroidery, writing, cleaning of home, stacking away of my junk, following the road codes when driving, telling my siblings how to raise their children :-D Gosh, I'm a pain!!!

27/9/05 13:09  
Blogger NML/Natalie said...

I'm like guyana-gyal. Some things I want done perfectly, others I'm not fussed. Mixed laziness...

27/9/05 13:48  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG & NML: From what you say I assume that in my place you would have written the "out of order" sign by hand too...

27/9/05 15:02  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

GG: Did you know you always do your best parenting BEFORE you have kids? :)

DC: No one, no one on this planet is anywhere near as lazy as I am. Only when a gun is at my head do I get anything done.. how on earth I have managed to be self employed all these years I know not. Because my "boss" is even lazier!

That being said, I do like things orderly, but when you have twin ten year olds, you might as well just give all that up.

28/9/05 10:08  
Blogger DCveR said...

kris: You seem to be doing a nice job so far. And I'm not sure but I believe C&K actually help you with your job, providing inspiration. :)

28/9/05 16:15  
Blogger DCveR said...

Small stuff, those are the right words. Some things just aren't important enough to cause stress.

30/9/05 13:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter