Saturday, September 10, 2005

Noivado ( Engagement )

"Estendeu os braços carinhosamente e avançou, de mãos abertas e cheias de ternura.
-És tu Ernesto, meu amor?
Não era. Era o Bernardo.
Isso não os impediu de terem muitos meninos e não serem felizes.
É o que faz a miopia."

"She stretched her arms lovingly and walked, open hands filled with tenderness.
-Is that you Ernest, my love?
It wasn't. It was Bernard.
That didn't stop them from having many children and not being happy.
That is what myopia does."

Mário Henrique-Leiria

Another Portuguese author.
Another poor translation done by yours truly.
This short tale can be read in Contos do Gin Tónico (Gin & Tonic Tales), sharp and corrosive humor. Some people say my writings have some influence of his books, I honestly can't see why.
Do I ever sound ironic or sarcastic?
(rhetorical question, answers not really needed on this subject, thank you)
Sometimes I wish there were more publishers interested in translating Portuguese authors...

6 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Any man is man. That's it for many women.

I'm going to google 'writers from Portugal, English translation' and see what I come up with.

Who? You? Sarcastic? Naaaahhhh. :-D

10/9/05 18:17  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG: That's exactly what I tell'em. Naaaahhhh. ;)

10/9/05 19:00  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Shucks, it looks as though there really aren't many writers from Portugal translated into English...from my quick googling...hm...maybe I'm wrong.

11/9/05 22:12  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG: That is my conclusion also, sad to say.

11/9/05 23:18  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

Your English is really excellent, as I ahve told you before.. you seem to have a handle on all the slang expressions, just like a native speaker! Maybe they'd need someone at the university level? Since you seem to have a knack for literature. How else will the world get to know some of these great Portuguese writers?

12/9/05 10:03  
Blogger DCveR said...

kris: I don't think I could do translations for a living. Too boring and not really chalenging.
But maybe someday I'll change my mind, who knows.

12/9/05 11:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter