Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tourist in my own town - day 2

On this second day we drove to Óbidos a small walled town northwest from Lisbon. Remnants of a Neolithic village still lay under the modern village. Some pieces of the Roman town from around the first century DC can be seen in its museum. Its walls have been re-built throughout history. After the Romans came the Visigoths, then the Arabs, then the first Portuguese.
It took us the whole morning to walk the narrow streets of Óbidos

And it’s walls.
IMG_0024 IMG_0045

As in most castles the view to the surrounding areas is breathtaking.

Although the view to the inside of the walls also has it’s charm.


Food had to be part of this visit...IMG_0074
IMG_0089
After lunch our friend wanted to shop for mementos and presents to take home.


IMG_0103
We drove south by the coast. Both Good Half and our friend are geologists so as you can easily guess this drive by the coast thing meant a lot of stops.

IMG_0122

10 Comments:

Blogger F-ftOS said...

awesome pictures. And the confluence on nature and history always appeals to me. I love those European streets. Towns in North India have those but they have the open sewage/drainage lines as well with them. So not a very pleasant site. What's the history of Portugese? I mean I never knew that Arabs had visited it. Any site that you can recommend on its history?

9/8/05 03:41  
Blogger DCveR said...

Maybe you can start here...Wikipedia is not exactly an history book, not always the most relilable information either but still can be a starting point.
Kind of like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

9/8/05 06:49  
Blogger DCveR said...

Arabs have invaded the Iberian Peninsula in 711. They have been driven off of Portugal in 1250 and of Spain in 1492. Yes the smaller country got rid of the moors first. Goes to prove we are nasty when we need to, have always been so.

9/8/05 06:58  
Blogger Icylyrics said...

awesome pictures, looks like a truly beautiful place. I don't think I've ever seen a sky quite so blue.

9/8/05 13:12  
Blogger Miss M said...

Oh wow! that's beautiful. these pics bring back memories of when I used to live in Spain. Right around Alicante/Calpe in Costa Blanca - I see Portugal is not too different. Ever been out that way?

9/8/05 17:07  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ahhhh, I knew I detected an 'east' sound in the fado music.

I love the colours, the ochre and that bright blue.

You live in a beautiful country, D.

Being a tourist in a familiar place is always bliss. I think people should do it often, then they get to appreciate, rather than negate.

9/8/05 17:44  
Blogger DCveR said...

icylyrics: now it isn't all that blue anymore, it started to rain

tacit: it's not that unspoiled, actually it's hard to find a spot to take pictures without car, houses and people

em: I've been near Alicante, in Murcia, but my favourite place in those parts is farther away from home: Barcelona.
I don't really like the south of Spain, but I love Barcelona.

9/8/05 17:59  
Blogger DCveR said...

tall glass: and why won't you? ;)

9/8/05 18:10  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh GAAAAAARGES!! i want to goooo!

and dcver THANK YOU for the picture of the food! helps me to picture your entire day :)

btw- all these with your camera? pretty sweet!!

9/8/05 18:49  
Blogger DCveR said...

ale: most of this with a Canon A95, a few with a Nokia 6680 cell phone...

9/8/05 23:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter