Monday, February 27, 2006

The wolf

When I was a kid I used to spend most of my Summers up in Serra da Estrela.
Some of the time in my mother'’s family house by the base of the mountains some of it at my father'’s family house half way to the top.
When I was at my mother'’s place there were always lots of cousins around and there wasn'’t a moment alone.
But when we were up there in the mountain I would get lots of time for myself.
The house is on top of a very steep slope over the village. There was only one cousin about my age, but he was the kind of tell tale bugger I'’d rather avoid (being slightly mischievous it seemed safer).
I guess it was back then that I started to enjoy walking alone. I used to stride those mountains on my own, like my father before me so people say. Well, not completely on my own because when I was just a little kid I always had to take along one of the shepherd dogs.
One day, when I was about fourteen, I went up the mountain alone and after a couple of hours walking I decided to take a rest near a fountain.
I took a nap and when I woke up and was getting ready to eat some of the food I had taken along I realized a wolf was staring at me.
Had I taken one of the dogs and the wolf wouldn'’t dare coming this close.
Strangely however I didn'’t feel scared. I sat down and kept looking at the wolf as I started to eat. The wolf approached a little more and I got even more confident, the creature was surely just curious. Also with all the practice I had training dogs there really was no reason to be afraid, Serra da Estrela dogs are stronger and faster than the local wolves and I knew how to tackle a dog attack.
After some time he started to come closer until he was near enough to smell all around me. The moment I tried to stretch my hand towards him so he could smell it and maybe let me touch him he started backing. He was afraid. I got up, drank some water and started to walk. He trailed me for a while and then disappeared. It wasn'’t the first time I had seen wolves. We even had one that had been taken as a cub and was raised as a dog.
But somehow that is one of those moments I'’ll just never forget.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wait a minute... this happened to you?? why were you not scared?

27/2/06 17:15  
Blogger DCveR said...

Mostly because he was alone I guess. They hunt in packs. They also hunt during the night. Loners in daytime usually aren't dangerous to man. My family has always bred shepherd dogs, stronger and faster than the wolves there. I was never afraid of any dog and a wolf is but a wild dog.

27/2/06 19:18  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I love this post. Lone boy and lone wolf at the top of a mountain. What a wonderful childhood you must've had. Was it dry scenery or were the woods cool and dark?

Oh, you were just only a 'little' mischievous, were you?

27/2/06 21:12  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG: Just slightly mischievous. Not a complete pest.
These links can give you an idea

link 1

link 2

The village is in the middle of the Natural Park, on the top area of the pine trees forest.

27/2/06 22:31  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

wow, that is SCARY! arent' they able to detect fear? isn't it crazy how you can look back at that and wonder how it would have gone if even one thing were different?

28/2/06 05:56  
Blogger DCveR said...

tall glass: Are we suggesting we guys act different when in packs? ;)

cadiz: Some people say animals can smell the pheromones people release when they feel fear. No, I never looked back at it as something dangerous. It always struck me as something beautiful instead.

28/2/06 12:28  
Blogger Dan Flynn said...

What a first line, D. "When I was a kid I used to spend most of my summers up in Serra da Estrela." Jeeze man, rub it in will you!

28/2/06 22:51  
Blogger Im so angry, Im so at ease said...

weird story, here the wolves are feared and hated by most people, espescially farmers and rural people, the only reason why they are not extinct is because of city-people who have demanded that they should be treated as an endangered species... (there is about 10-20 wolves inside norwegian borders these days) Historically it might have to do with the cold winthers, as the wolves had a harder time finding food, so they had to go pretty close to populated areas and compete there... This has made a fear/hatred thingey beyond porportions.
Now the farmers claim that these 10-20 wolves kills an enourmous amount of sheep and pets, though shepherds are out of date and never used here...

1/3/06 02:21  
Blogger DCveR said...

dan: Guess I'd better not mention my early Summers in Algarve...

isa, isae: Folklore is filled with wolf stories, and yet it is very rare for wolves to attack humans. It is even rarer for them to approach houses when there are enough animals for them to hunt.
Of course if you ask any of our cousins who still own sheep they'll tell you all the wolves should be killed.

1/3/06 08:57  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's beautiful, D.

1/3/06 18:46  
Blogger Glitzy said...

I'm impressed that you weren't scared. Had that been me, I wouldn't have dreamed of walking without a Shepard dog guardian.

Seems you had an inner knowledge of canines most kids that age don't.

That's the kind of memory you wish you could take out of your brain and have pictures made from it. Guess that's why I envy folks who can draw or paint. They have the ability to do that.

1/3/06 23:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter