Saturday, October 29, 2005

Galo de Barcelos (Barcelos' Rooster)

I guess by now you all are fed up with stories from my early years, so I'll try and post about something different.

Many years ago, legend has it, in the town of Barcelos people were restless on account of a crime that went unpunished. In those days a pilgrim from Galicia came by claiming to be heading to Compostela.
This made no sense to the locals, after all Compostela is in Galicia and Barcelos is way south, in northern Portugal.
The locals assumed the stranger was lying because no man would take such a detour to reach Compostela.
Why? What reason would lead a stranger to come up with such nonsense?
Simple, he had to be the criminal they couldn’t find! So they blamed the crime on the pilgrim and the judge sentenced him to be hanged.
On the day he was to be hanged he asked to be taken back to the judge who had sentenced him.
When they got there the judge was having lunch. On the table was a roasted rooster.
The pilgrim then said: “ I am innocent. And that rooster will sing while you hang me, as proof of my innocence!”
They all laughed at him, but out of fear nobody dared to touch the roasted rooster.
The moment they were hanging the man, the rooster stood up and sung.
The judge rushed to the hanging place where he found the pilgrim hanging from the tree, but the noose was loose and the man was still alive.
Everybody apologized to the pilgrim and he was sent free. One year later the man went back to Barcelos and ordered a monument to be built to the Virgin and to Santiago.

And this is the reason we have those awful roosters that most tourists buy almost everywhere in Portugal.
I don't like those roosters and I don't really like this legend either, but there is no way one can tell Portuguese legends and skip this one.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

Great legend but it tastes like...chicken!
I am sure that sometime in the past we used to own one of these roosters...Can't recall where it came from or where it went...Maybe back to Barcelos!

29/10/05 10:58  
Blogger Unknown said...

i have a big book of russian folklore... and this sounds VERY similar to one of the stories!! hmmm interesting... i've noticed that a lot of the ledgends seem to repeat themselves in different lands... i guess never underestimate word of mouth... it really gets around!!

29/10/05 12:16  
Blogger DCveR said...

cream: No wonder it tastes like chicken! It's the pre-packed legend the church would use in many a place to awe the pagans. "Saints have power over death!"
It's not very different from Saint Anthony's legend: he was in Italy while his father was to be hung for murder in Portugal. He got the deceased to stand up and point to the real culprit.

Ale: As I said to cream, in Portugal alone two of the most famous legends have this story, although with a few twists to make it ‘local’. You will find similar stories almost everywhere.

29/10/05 12:24  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I guess folklorists have done studies on that, the similarities between folk tales...I know one woman has, Clarissa M. Pinkola, the one who wrote 'Women who run with the wolves.'

I like this legend D, I think that pilgrim was a ventriloquist.

I like the pic. of the rooster you have there too. Sue me, I'm a tourist :-)

29/10/05 13:47  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ahhhhh!!!!!

I'm so excited to go to Portugal at Christmas I can barely stand it.

29/10/05 14:58  
Blogger DCveR said...

GG: Sue you? No way! It's great that tourists like this stuff, that way they will buy it and help our economy! :)

portuguesa: And I can't wait to know what you think about it afterwards. ;)

isis: Try us! ;)

29/10/05 16:28  
Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Great story. I'm going to impress my friends Portugese husband the next time I see him, with all of my knowledge.

29/10/05 20:59  
Blogger DCveR said...

nml: I bet he doesn't like those damned roosters either! LOL

29/10/05 21:02  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

I was JUST about to tell you I have a rooster that looks just like this, that I bought in Portugal... when I read your line about the awful rooster souvenirs every tourist buys!! LOL. Well I guess I was just another tourist there... :)

There's lots of great tales in Hawaii as you might imagine.

30/10/05 09:01  
Blogger DCveR said...

isis: Thanks. If ever I get to St. Louis I'll try and find the Lemp Mansion. Although I am not sure if I will actually sleep there, the last time I've slept in a so called haunted house the only ghost we saw was the our money disappearing into the owners hands.

kris: I've bought a couple of books in Bishop's Museum with some of the Hawaiian tales. They are great. And don't worry, we too have one such rooster... although I wasn't the one who bought it.

30/10/05 09:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter