Monday, November 28, 2005

Holidays Synopsis

My holidays started with a rather uneventful journey to one of the most boring places on Earth: Corvallis, Oregon, USA.
I won't go as far as to call Corvallis a one horse town, but the truth is the place is rather quiet to say the least.
Most of the city life, certainly most of the cultural life, runs around Oregon State University.
In times like November, when the students who are still in town are busy with exams and reports, most of them swarming the library, there isn't much action around. The ones who are not busy simply leave town to travel home for thanksgiving.
The one good thing about it as a destination:
Good Half is there.


After a few days in Corvallis we headed North to Portland to spend our 10th anniversary there.
We didn't want to stay at friends' places so I got us a room at the Hilton, in downtown Portland. Although we love our friends we wanted some privacy, just the two of us in a 'not so strange' town. Staying downtown also meant most of the time neither of us had to drive, we could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go and also there is always the lightrail (MAX is free in the downtown area)

It's always nice to revisit a few places in or around Portland, like the Multnomah Falls, the Saturday market, the Classical Chinese Gardens in Chinatown.





Places to eat around town: Alexander's; Todai; Ruth Chris' Steak House; Fong Chong.
After a couple of days we headed back to Corvallis. She still had a lot of work to do so I had to keep myself busy some of the time (by escaping to Meadows to snowboard for example).
The weather was weird for this time of the year, warm and sunny. That and the lack of rain added up to crunchy and hard snow on the slopes. That and the fact that I am really a lousy boarder resulted in having aches in muscles I didn't even remember I had.
Going over my head trying to tack trails above my level just to keep the pace with the guys also didn't help, after all they go there two to three times a week every week of every season...



Unlike our usual holidays we took very few pictures though. I guess the fact that we were revisiting places had something to do with it.




Tags:

15 Comments:

Blogger Cream said...

DC, good synopis!
As long as you rested and had a good time with OH, that's the most important. Happy Anniversary!

You can rest you bones and muscles now.

28/11/05 22:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun vacation! even if you were in a more low-key place. glad to you're back---have missed your comments. :)

29/11/05 02:11  
Blogger DCveR said...

cream: Work doesn't seem to agree with that rest thing.

tacit: Actually married since 2001, but papers and ceremony don't mean much, that's why we celebrate the anniversary since we've been together.

vesparosso: It is a nice town though, and we have some friends there.

29/11/05 07:33  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

I just drove through Corvallis and know exactly what you mean. Yaaaaaaawwwwn. Very slow place....Don't you love some of the scenery? All the trees and such. And they've really preserved the Oregon coast perfectly. Chris and I stayed in Portland too but it was at the La Qunita airporter, not quite the same as the Hilton! Glad you and GH had a great time; and it's refreshing to see newlyweds still as happy with each other as you are. Welcome home!!

PS Going to the dentist tomorrow for my last two fillings, how about you?

29/11/05 08:57  
Blogger piu piu said...

nice to hear youre back safely. i'm off tomorrow....

29/11/05 10:51  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hey D, you're back in the swing of things, good.

What a lovely place.

I discovered this, no place is boring if I'm with someone fun.

29/11/05 13:54  
Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Great pics and belated happy anniversary :-)

29/11/05 15:15  
Blogger Im so angry, Im so at ease said...

Happy to hear you were able to take the board for a ride; its not snow here yet, so I think the-send-all-the-snow-to-oregon-project actually should be concidered successful:)

29/11/05 17:13  
Blogger DCveR said...

kris: We usually stay at friends places nearby like Lake Oswego or in the nearest Best Western. But I thought GH deserved a few treats after 10 years putting up with me. ;)

piu: Have a nice journey!!!

isis: When are you moving?

GG: The truth is I always have a great time while I am there. And also we usually take some time to go elsewhere, even if it is not very far away.

tall glass: It was a great weather for snowshoes though, above the clouds it was actually warm, some guys were skiing and boarding on their t-shirts!

nml: Thanks!

isa, isae: Thank you! It's just a pity it arrived too early, when I got there it was all crusty. It seems this last weekend it started snowing again there, sadly I am back to work.

29/11/05 18:08  
Blogger Impossible Jane said...

I had been debating between a summer vacation to Portland OR or Seattle WA. Sounds like I should go see Portland!

Sounds like you had a great time! Jane

29/11/05 18:48  
Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Thrilled to hear you had a good holiday. Wonderful pictures.

Oh, and Happy belated Anniversary!! :)

29/11/05 23:15  
Blogger DCveR said...

jane: I would pick Seattle for Summer though, I've driven through the coast there and the place is amazing. If you're planning Summer holidays in Oregon do a little research on tree-house hotels...

bent: Thanks.

30/11/05 00:02  
Blogger Im so angry, Im so at ease said...

lol, the snow came here today; another confirmation on the project:) Anyway now its -celsius and a pain in the ass to walk home... Time for beyond fridge-temprature again! Funny thing is that it comes as a shock every year... I know it gets below sooner or later, but I think I just ignore it every year, like this is not gonna happen, funny how ignorance is bliss, and not to mention; ignorance is total disappointment...

30/11/05 00:22  
Blogger Glitzy said...

happy 10th anniversary!

2/12/05 17:25  
Blogger DCveR said...

isa, isae: I love the cold and the snow for short periods, but having to put up with it for the entire winter... that sure isn't for me, I was born in a sunny country, I miss my sun if I am away too long.

isis: Never been there in the Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring and that is all.

glitzy: Thanks.

2/12/05 19:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter